QS 10 dinette

Started by catmanriff, January 12, 2017, 02:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catmanriff

I think we need to address some mods to our dinette situation. First, the cushions do not stay in place. So, a different velcro solution. The cushions sort of bottom out and the back rests are really short. I understand that the pieces fit together to make a bed... but I'm not sure that a better way cannot be figured out.

The table is awkward. has anyone redesigned their own setup for a dinette setup?

whitecastleman

I usually solo camp and I felt that the table just took up too much room.  The table is in my garage right now- instead I use a small folding table just right for one or two.  I also noticed that the cushions do not stay in place very well on the bench seats.  Many times I put both bottom cushions on the bench near the door and use the bare bench next to the kitchen for my small dorm-sized fridge and other supplies. 

Sean

We found a Lifetime 4' table with adjustable height is a direct fit to the original table, though just a hair thicker. Since we never plan to use it as a bed this isnt a problem for us. Instead the new table is much better because we can set it to a more reasonable height compared to the benches. Its also more stable overall with its heavier duty legs. This is basically the one we have but we purchased ours at Costco I think: http://amzn.to/2jf339e

I've seen someone post about replacing the benches with the Plano sportsman trunks. I havent tried it, but if I recall they mentioned that three set side by side are nearly a direct replacement for the bench. The 56qt model is the one used http://amzn.to/2iktXwY
I use these for a ton of storage in the camper. They fit nicely in the walkway during transport. They stack very well when at camp, and the tops are lockable. I use them for everything from food storage to gear organization. I figure it keeps the little critters away from our food and makes it far easier to put away when we need to keep things out of reach for larger critters.

I've thought about removing the table and benches all together but then I remind myself of the times we have been stuck inside due to weather. Having the table and seats have been a great help. Maybe its worth crossing the line and building a wooden bench/storage/table solution. I doubt it would be all that difficult to come up with a bench that fits the lifetime table while still converting to a bed if needed. Plus they you could add a taller removable back rest. Just a thought...

-Sean

khughes222

Quote from: Sean on January 13, 2017, 10:56:01 AM

I've seen someone post about replacing the benches with the Plano sportsman trunks. I havent tried it, but if I recall they mentioned that three set side by side are nearly a direct replacement for the bench. The 56qt model is the one used http://amzn.to/2iktXwY
I use these for a ton of storage in the camper. They fit nicely in the walkway during transport. They stack very well when at camp, and the tops are lockable. I use them for everything from food storage to gear organization. I figure it keeps the little critters away from our food and makes it far easier to put away when we need to keep things out of reach for larger critters.

-Sean

Yeah that was me. They have worked out awesome. I actually left the original dinette seats in the backyard of my old house as planter boxes filled with dirt when I moved to Colorado.

They are almost a direct replacement with 2 exceptions: 1) The original dinette was at an angle to clear the driver side fender-well that sticks up through the floor but the plano sportsman is not. Therefore I put the bin just to the inside of the fender-well only on that side and the walkway side sticks out maybe 2". Not enough to even be noticed though. The other 3 bins at the back stay flush with the wall. 2) The bins are just slightly shorter at the ground section than the original dinette so when converting to a bed, you need to lay a 2x4 wide side down to hold the bins away from the little pony wall or else the table has a slight chance of falling through. The 2x4 keeps the bins snug to the table on both sides so there is no chance of it falling through while laying on it. I weigh 240lbs and stand directly on the table all the time while its in its lowered position.

In total I have 9 plano sportsman bins in my camper. 6 black for the seats @ 3x3, and 3 green for everything I take outside. The 3 green go into the aisle while travelling.