RV GPS Navigation

Started by Merlin, January 16, 2018, 12:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin

Does anyone have a recommendation for a GPS navigation device that helps with RV travel? We've found the navigation system in our tow vehicle will send us on routes that are not appropriate for trailer towing and it has no "RV" settings. We don't want to use our iPhone with Google Maps or Apple Maps or other app because when we travel our phones are very busy doing other things (Pandora, weather, internet, calls, etc.) I plan to put a stand-alone GPS navigator on the dash, but need real-world advice from users I trust. On-line reviews of navigators at sales sites are so "all over the place" by haters and lovers (read competition and manufacturers) that's it's hard to get a clear idea of what works and what doesn't for RV use.
Michigan

Pinstriper

If you're happy with the navigation on google or apple maps, you could just get another ipad, like the 7"-er, and a mount for it. Connect it to you iphone's hotspot and boom, you're there.

Personally, I plan things a bit more, and check my routes with RideWithGPS to see elevation and grade. That doesn't help a solo driver who is improvising, but your Bomber/Navigator could do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DavidM

Google Maps will sometimes take us down a tertiary and in one case a gravel road to get to a campsite to save maybe 2-3 miles. That is just the way their routing algorithm works and it can't be changed.

The dedicated GPS's probably don't use these type of roads in their non-online database and might give a better route than Google Maps. But i am just guessing.

With that one minor objection I love Google Maps running on our iPad set behind the shift lever on the car where the driver can easily see it.

David

Merlin

Thanks both Pinstriper and DavidM. I'll see if I can mount my iPad mini high on the console (or maybe use my old iPhone 6+ on the windshield) and connect to my regular iPhone hotspot to run Google Maps. I wonder if there are RV-specific mapping apps? At least Google Maps is always updated and provides updated traffic info. As I look outside at the heavy snow falling and 18F temps, I wonder how long it will be before our camper is on the road again.......

Michigan

Chappy133

Garmin has a RV GPS but it is pricey.
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

PaulJ

Merlin,

We got the Garmin 660 RV LMT, and used it this summer racking up over 4,000 miles and love it. Nothing is 100 % but it allows you to use tow and rv mode, or just tow (truck) mode. Updating it is fairly easy and it does have lifetime maps (their lifetime; read the fine print)  This is our 2nd Garmin and MUCH better than the 1st generation.  We set it to avoid Inter-State highways and toll roads.  We like seeing the little towns along the way and have found some really good mom & pop restaurants in out travels. I like that the speed limit is on the Garmin, both the speed you are going and the speed limit of the road. It alerts you to school and other special zones; you can set it to avoid U-turns, and it will alert to bad traffic conditions. The lane assist is pretty good on Inter-States, not so good on the back roads we take. I'd give it a 4 star out of 5 rating if asked.

Merlin

Cool, that 660 RV LMT is still available, so I appreciate the info.
Michigan

PaulJ