LIST of planned mods

Started by ToolmanJohn, September 12, 2017, 11:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToolmanJohn

So I still have a few things I'd like to see in my toy hauler. I peruse the internet looking to swipe other clever peoples good ideas!!

1) Quick connect propane sockets one inside near the kitchen for my portable MrBuddy catalytic heater and also one outside for a propane grill. I'll have a plumber so them, and also install ball valves on each to guarantee no leaking. I would just open a couple windows a half inch in cold weather, and the roof vent slightly, and that little heater runs 4 hours on one pound bottles. Super quiet and no electricity used. Ideal for long cold stays.

2) Under the frame sliding drawer. I've seen this done on other campers and I have the needed dead space in front of my froward axles to accommodate a large drawer. It would be nice to put camp items like chocks, blocks, ramps, in outside storage instead of under the bed.

3) A new aluminum tongue storage tray cover. I paid $350+ for mine as an option, and it is too low to fit my Honda EU2000 generator!! Bummed.. I'll pay a local aluminum welding shop to fabricate a new one that is 8-10 inches higher to future proof for a 2400-3000 watt generator and fuel can.

4) Install a new sewer tube carrier. The stock Valterra tube is short and the cap is just plain awful. I had a D&W on my former camper, awesome tube and it fits a 15 foot Rhino Sewer tube easily. Haven't figured out exactly where to put it yet. I need to make a bracket for one of the clamps.

5) Buy a decent cheap 32" LED TV, gut the 120VAC plug assembly, and make an appropriate mod to run it from 12VDC. I can do it, and my brother is also an electronic nerd like me. I'll make it happen.

6) Hangers. Hangers. And some more hangers. For clothing, cookware, large utensils, mugs with handles. There are no hangers in the toy hauler.  Well not entirely true, there is a very short one in a closet near the door. But really small.

7) Vinyl flooring in the bathroom!!! Darn bath mats just float all over underfoot, what an annoyance!! And possibly vinyl floor the entire toy hauler. With strategic cutouts for where I place tie downs.  I can throw my carpet runners over the vinyl when camping they roll up small for storage or taking indoors for vacuuming.

I'll take the time sooner or later to take pictures of the things I have already done.

DavidM

When you look for your TV, some have bricks that plug into the wall socket. Look on the back of the brick for its dc output. Some are 12V dc (most are 19 v like laptops). If you cut the cord off of a 12v one then you can wire it to your dc system and power it directly.

The other way is to wire up a small inverter to power the TV with 120v ac produced from dc. Even a small cigarette lighter plug in inverter will work. An inverter will waste a bit of power due to efficiency losses, maybe 5 watts or so.

David

Merlin

In addition to the modification section on this forum, be sure to check out the modification section in the old forum archives. Both are rich sources of ideas for fun stuff. Here's the link to the archives.

http://archive.aluminiumcamperforum.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=55ienql66v6ars6jt81gm4ib75&board=16.0

Michigan

ToolmanJohn

ToolmanJohn

Quote from: Merlin on September 13, 2017, 08:34:41 AM
In addition to the modification section on this forum, be sure to check out the modification section in the old forum archives. Both are rich sources of ideas for fun stuff. Here's the link to the archives.

http://archive.aluminiumcamperforum.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=55ienql66v6ars6jt81gm4ib75&board=16.0

No pictures   :-\  All those links are broken.