Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C Portable Electrical Management System

Started by PebblePrincess, April 03, 2017, 11:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PebblePrincess

I was wondering if anyone has installed a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C Portable Electrical Management System in their unit and if so where. I am hoping my trailer will be ready in early May so I am looking to order items this month. I realize the cost of electronics in these trailers and figure the investment to protect them is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 8.5' x 28' Quicksilver
Offroad Package
Onan 5500 & Fuel Station

gbpack

Yes, we have one of the Progressive Industries 30Amp units in our CampLite 21BHS. It work great and we're glad that we have it. The dealer installed it before we first picked up the trailer, so I am not sure if the exact placement within our trailer, but since the monitor is in the kitchen area, it is probably located underneath somewhere, before the power reaches the circuit breaker and fuse box. It has protected us a number of times on a recent long road trip by shutting off the power to the trailer whenever the power supply surged or dipped too low. Some campgrounds don't have the best (or reliable) power supply. Also, I find myself glancing at the monitor numerous times during the day, especially when we have a lot of appliances all running at the same time (it's great to see how many amps we're pulling and how the voltage drops as we turn on more things). We definitely feel that this unit is worth the money.

PebblePrincess

GB, thank you for the response. I ordered my trailer with Onan 5.5 and was wondering if anyone knows if I should put the management system between all sources of power and the trailer or just shore power.

Offroad Package
Onan 5500 & Fuel Station

DavidM

Your Onan generator will have a selection switch or in some cases just a plug in somewhere for either the generator or shore power source. I would install your monitoring system on the load side of that switch or plug so that it can monitor both sources. I suspect the installation instructions for the system will address this point.

David

tek610

I just installed the 30 amp version this past weekend. In our 13QBB, it is under the sofa, right near where power enters the trailer. We do not have a generator, but the instructions include an optional install for those who do.

-John

Merlin

I looked up the owner's manual in my files and found that P.I. provides instructions for installing the HW version either before or after the gen/shore power transfer switch. I recommend following @DavidM ideas and installing it after the transfer switch to protect the trailer from problems with either the shore power or generator power. However, by far the most important application is to protect from shore power issues, so if you have any installation problems that keep you from using the P.I. to protect both, choose the shorepower protection!. I have the 30 amp version and feel much more confident about using campground power and not damaging stuff in my trailer. It's already warned me twice about very low voltage at a site pedestal and may have saved my air conditioner. Of course, I could have done the same with my Kill-O-Watt meter, but I don't look a that all the time!
Michigan

PebblePrincess

Thank you all for the information and insight. Once I receive the trailer I will make a tutorial on installation for the forum as I don't believe we have one that I know of.

Offroad Package
Onan 5500 & Fuel Station

Paul

Quote from: PebblePrincess on April 03, 2017, 08:43:31 PM
Thank you all for the information and insight. Once I receive the trailer I will make a tutorial on installation for the forum as I don't believe we have one that I know of.

That would be great!
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

PebblePrincess

Here the pictures of the install. I apologize for the delay. I mounted it in the bathroom cabinet between the electrical switch and the trailer. This should allow protection from generator and shore power. I will have to get a picture of the display box, which I mounted between the cabinet (closet) doors in the bathroom. I did these because the display continually flashes information and didn't want it in the main sleeping area of the trailer.

Offroad Package
Onan 5500 & Fuel Station

rickyz1

Great investment! I also have one that saved my but 3 times from power surges. Mine is not hard wired like yours, good choice one less thing you have to do when setting up. I also have the progressive cheater box incase there's no 50amp service. My transfer switch was hidden on the other side where yours is behind the azdel panel. When I removed the panel to look in there I could not believe the huge wasted space in the front cap that could have become another compartment but would have added more tongue weight, lots of installation in there. I always plug my surge protector in first and let it go throught its checks before pluging in my trailer so if there is a problem I can move to another spot.
2017 8.5x24 Ford Quick Silver
Onan 5500/ Fuel Station