Starlink

Started by Chappy133, January 01, 2023, 11:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidM

My understanding is that with the ice and snow melting feature off, the power draw isn't too bad, maybe 50 watts.

David

Chappy133

One of the draw backs to Starlink is they do not have a 12VT set up.  I had to upgrade my inverter to 500 WT and Starlink requires a pure sine wave inverter.  I will be dry camping at Key West NAS for the month of February.  I will only have the Starlink on when I need to use it vs. on all the time.  I do not have the battery set up to go all the time. My set up is two 6VT golf cart batteries in series.  I did upgrade my solar panel from an 80WT to a 200WT Renology panel.  I can also run the generator in the evenings until 10:00 pm.  I let you know how it goes for power once I am up and running for a while.  I do have the heater turned off.  Shouldn't need it 90 miles from Havana.  There is a funny picture floating around on the inter-web of 5 cats sitting on a Dishy staying warm in the snow. 

The challenge, as David states, will be camping in the NE and obstructions.  That I will need to update you all on later on. Some folks have reported that a partial obstructed view they still get decent service.  I am not a "gamer" so my requirements are lower.  The equipment costs are now $599 vs. $500.  A lot of folks go for the home service with portability.  It costs the same as the RV service but gives you a higher priority.  The disadvantage to that option is you cannot start and stop the service like the RV option and may have to wait to get the service. 

I too have my concerns on Starlink and longevity but once all the birds are in orbit the international commercial use should be able to fund the operations. 

My first computer had two 5 1/2" floppy drives.  It was amazing for spreadsheets and writing papers.  DirecTV service is delivered via satellite and they are doing OK.  They had to start somewhere. Time will tell.
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

gibby

Oh, I should have added.

Starlink Satellites for Internet = Nice.

Starlink Satellites and Amateur Astrophotography = Bad (can't shoot a 5 min exposure without one of those damm things showing up as a streak in the image)

Guess I better pick which hobby is more appropriate, quite often I am doing both at the same time!
2014 21RBS
2121 F150 Lariat ,  3.5 Ecoboost, 4X4, SuperCrew

Chappy133

Starlink service is doing very well on this trip. Currently at Key West NAS. Running Starlink with the 12VT TV is draining my two 6VT Golf Cart batteries quicker than desired at night. No issues with 200 watt solar may need to consider a lithium battery upgrade option or just use the generator at night.  No battery issues powering the Starlink at night. Screen shots of the speed test. 114 Mbps is RV restricted. 204 Mbps is unrestricted.  I am satisfied with the service so far.
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
Easton, PA

DavidM

Any idea of the amperage that the Starlink system only (no TV and presumably no snow to melt) is drawing.

David

Chappy133

David no meter with me to check with. Snow melt feature was turned off right after I got it. Also read on line that feature is "frying" cables due the heat feature cycling on too often.
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
Easton, PA

DavidM

I have read that the Starlink power consumption runs about 5 amps, ex snowmelt. That and other house loads can certainly run your battery down quickly.

Best to turn it off when you are not using it.

David

Chappy133

The challenge with Starlink is running the cable outside to the antenna, since it is powered from the router.  With the 16 TBS it was easy to run the cable out the slide after routing around the mattress but not with the 21 RBS.  Did some web research and found an Australian product to solve the issue.  A weather Resistant Cable Access Bung / Portal for Starlink Cable.  I did not want to cut the cable and do a cable connection box.  So I measured 3X, used a stud detecter and cut a hole behind the TV stand for the cable to exit.  I have two rubber grommets to plug the gap while in use to keep the weather and critters out.

https://spacetek.com.au/products/weather-resistant-cable-access-bung-portal-for-starlink-cable?variant=43792499048683

2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
Easton, PA

Chappy133

Quote from: Chappy133 on February 04, 2023, 08:14:19 AMDavid no meter with me to check with. Snow melt feature was turned off right after I got it. Also read on line that feature is "frying" cables due the heat feature cycling on too often.

I did find a no cut cable solution through ESTY. You can also build your own 12 volt solutions too. However having red green color blindness I can't do the wiring. Quite a few YouTube videos to walk one through the process.

I have been pleased with this. For a one night use this is quicker for setting up for me.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1469315359/easy-dc-12v-all-in-one-dc-power-supply
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
Easton, PA

Merlin

Chappy, Based on your notes and observations, I think I'll get into the Starlink system for use at my cabin. The Internet there now comes in via a very wimpy/iffy cell tower that's 12 miles away and blocked by trees. I even had to put up my own 50' tower with a Yagi antenna connected to a booster to get any reception at all.

Anyway, as I understand it from you, the RV Starlink service allows for on/off periods and even with a lower priority the speeds are fine. I have a clear view of the north sky from my cabin and lots of solar power in reserve for operation. We are there for 1-2 weeks at a time during the spring/summer/fall. Do you have any advice on setting up a Starlink system for Internet access (up and down) in a situation like mine?

As an aside, I'm not going to use it for my camper, so far as I know now. I just completed a 5700 mile 16 state trip and with the WeBoost Drive RV booster and both Verizon and AT&T connections available, we always had good Internet access in campgrounds.
Michigan

Chappy133

Merlin,  I believe only the "roam" service gives you the ability to pause and unpause. Otherwise it is pretty straightforward to operate. Just link your app WiFi to "Stinky " when first set up.
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
Easton, PA