Minivan as TV

Started by gb802, April 03, 2021, 11:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gb802

Hello.  I'm looking to hear some feedback on minivans as TV for the smaller CL trailers.  Next week, we will be taking ownership of a 2012 CL 13BHB.

Our 2011 Sienna AWD is spec'd at hauling 3500#, and the '12 CL is 3000# with 180# tongue (spec, unofficial).

FWIW -- Up until recently I was feeling pretty confident about it.  Now, as the gears are turning (pun intended), and I start thinking about some future winter ski trips, I'm on the fence and would love to hear about y'all's experience.  I am entertaining a Sequoia to replace it, if necessary.

Did I mention we will also be carrying 3 kids and a dog?

Thanks!

DavidM

I think you will be marginal at best. The weight will be close to 3,500 # with gear, food and water. Your total weight- TV + T/T, GCWR is the rating term, will be tight as well. Also what engine does the Sienna have. If it is less than 3 liters then that will be an issue as well.

With a Sequoia you probably won't even know it is behind you.

David

gb802

Quote from: DavidM on April 04, 2021, 07:52:38 AM
Also what engine does the Sienna have. If it is less than 3 liters then that will be an issue as well.

Hi David.  Thank you for this feedback.  It is helpful.

The Sienna has a 3.5L V6

Merlin

IMHO, get a Sequoia. I believe the limitation will be the rear suspension of the Sienna. You need to get some tongue weight on the hitch to avoid serious trailer sway issues (180 lbs is not enough) and that, plus luggage, 5 people and a dog and the Sienna will struggle to control the weight. I think all that will lead to unpleasant towing. As David mentioned, with the Sequoia it will be a no-drama breeze to tow that camper and haul the people, dogs and stuff.

If you get the hitch set up perfectly and only plan on short trips to local campgrounds, you could try the Sienna first and see how it goes. The AWD Sienna is a nice family hauler for everything but towing, so you'll just have to decide how much towing you'll be doing.
Michigan

Pinstriper

Tow ratings generally (and especially with anything other than a full sized truck) assume a 150# driver and 35# of luggage. No other passengers or cargo, which if you add it, comes directly out of the cargo capacity with you will then blow by not having enough capacity for the tongue weight, even if the GCWR hasn't been blown yet (which is a big "if").

TANSTATMTV