titanium cooking stuff

Started by stonetic88, June 06, 2016, 12:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stonetic88

Hi I am new to this forum and wondering about titanium cooking stuff. I've found some vendors likes light my fire, timberbrother or etc selling titanium spork on Amazon but I still had no idea if titanium stuff is the best option for camping...

Paul

I would be interested to know this also
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

Sean

I know this is old but having used titanium before I thought I'd give some opinions. Titanium is great for backpacking since it is super light and durable. It is also extremely  conductive so it does a great job at basic tasks like boiling water. However this is double bittersweet because that means it will cool off whatever you have in it very quickly as well.
It is very expensive per piece and is often only sold in small sizes as its geared towards backpacking. If you are camping in a trailer I'd look at stainless steel. It's much more cost effective and cooks much more like your home cookware. All in all titanium won't hurt anything but unless you have a need for it, I'd look into other options.

Pinstriper

Yeah, titanium is wonderful stuff and all, but if the difference between making weight or not is the 1.5 ounces you'll save on 4 place settings of utensils, you have other worries.

Dollar store, garage sales, Goodwill/SA thrift shops are a fine source of cheap and perfectly cromulent place settings. Failing that, go to a neighbor's open house and slip a few pieces under your shirt. By the end of the summer you'll have a full set and no friends.

catmanriff

I bought the Magma stainless nesting cookware...and love it. I might order another handle but it's as good as my home stuffs. I'll probably get one non stick skillet, like a decent calphalon , adding to my set.

One thing I've really enjoyed is the Iwatani butane stove. That thing is great for cooking, coffee, boiling water. High quality. It's small too.

pjcd

a majority of my TT cookware has come from yard sales.

Pinstriper

Quote from: pjcd on January 10, 2017, 05:52:21 PM
a majority of my TT cookware has come from yard sales.

Thrift stores, dollar store, etc.

catmanriff

I love cooking and enjoy reasonably nice cookware. The Magma is like a decent Stainless sandwiched base set. I like that it all goes into the biggest saucepan. And, I put it on my Amazon watch list so when it came up for $99, I jumped.
I do find good 1970s Farberware and  Revereware at thrift stores, craigslist, etc.

Used non-stick is a crap shoot and a lot of it not very healthy. Aluminum cooks unevenly, cast iron is awesome but the weight..

Sean

I keep a set of cast iron in the house and psck the pieces I need based on what we are cooking. I haven't found anything better than a nice thick cast iron griddle over the camp stove for bacon and pancakes in the morning. I also leave a Magma set in the camper. It's amazing and worth every penny but it certainly is a pretty penny.

thedusty

I became a little obsessed with Titanium for a few months and went on a bender ordering stuff from Amazon.  Coffee mugs, cutlery...it was an expensive little bender...but since I don't drink alcohol I figure I have to waste money on stuff elsewhere. 

I did order these two sets along the way:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009QM7DSK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MV6WAE0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Aluminum is probably just as good but I dig these little kits.  I keep them on the camper and use them on the grill or the stove.  Like the others said, getting supplies elsewhere is just as good.  But if you don't drink and can't go on alcohol benders, then do a titanium bender and let me know how it goes.
2016 Camplite 21BHS
2016 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4

pjcd

Its been said before and I have to agree, great for back packing, great for simple tasks, but thats about it. I own a couple of piece's for hiking and hunting, I boil water for freeze dried food and water for tea, it light and durable, I even have a titanium alcohol stove.
For camp cooking I like SS, I just purchased the Magma set and couldn't be happier. Hardly takes up any room.