Water pump wiring

Started by FastEddieB, February 16, 2018, 12:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FastEddieB

When I had my 21BHS in for service, I asked that after the new toilet installation they pump antifreeze through the toilet when they tested it. They told me my pump was inop, but easily fixed by repairing a connector.

I just went to run the intake hose into antifreeze so we can flush with that. Pump is not working, and this is what I see:

I don't think I knocked the pump red wire out from anything, but it's possible.

Any thought on where that's supposed to go? I emailed that photo to the shop just now.

DavidM

This is aproximately how the pump is wired:

From the fuse on the converter panel, the red positive wire goes to the on/off pump switch on the cabinet, then to the pump's pressure switch and then to the motor. The black negative wire goes back to the converter's negative buss or maybe just to the frame for grounding.

So the wire that you see that is loose comes from the motor and has a female spade connector. It should hook up to the water pressure switch terminal on the other end of the pump.

The pressure switch turns the pump on and off to maintain 30 lbs or so of pressure if the on/off switch is on.

David

FastEddieB

Thanks!

I'll look shortly. I may have pulled it off accidentally as I was changing hoses and locating the bottle of antifreeze.

FastEddieB

How many spade terminals are on the back of the water pump? It's hard to see but I can only see/feel one and that has the red wire which is now spliced into the blue wire in the photo.

Is the blue wire power in?

Looks like just 4 screws to remove the water pump for a better look.

Edited to add: I found pump images online. Looks like two spade terminals.

Further edited to add: it's fixed. Removing the screws gave me enough room to see what was going on and I got the red wire back onto the second terminal on the back. Thanks for the help.

MitchB

On mine the wire that comes out the back of the pump, which is the disconnected one on yours, goes under the pump and plugs into what I assume is the pressure switch mounted on the other end of the pump.  Then there is another red wire coming out of the pressure switch which is spliced to a blue one that goes somewhere else.
If it ain't broke it probably will be soon.

FastEddieB

Yep! It was the second spade terminal from the pressure regulator that had come loose.

Removing three screws let me pivot the pump enough to get access.

FWIW, I couldn't remove the fourth - the screw head was quite stripped. To get it out in the future I would need a left-hand drill, or to saw/grind a slot in the top. I'm not a big fan of these square-drive heads, and may go ahead and replace all 4 with socket heads.

FastEddieB

This is how I left it:

With judicious use, I hope a bottle lasts a while.