Solar Controller

Started by Chappy133, February 23, 2022, 11:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chappy133

A David M. type question here:  I was able to successfully replace my flooded controller with a new Huine PWM controller from Amazon on our 80 watt suitcase solar charger.  This solar charger is at least 8 years old.  What I found interesting is the old controller had four wires on the battery connection cable. Two to the battery and two to into the controller. The new controller only had two wires for the battery connection I chose to only hook up the two that went directly to the batteries.  I was just wondering what the function of the two wires on the old controller?   
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

DavidM

OK, DavidM here:

Controllers have pairs of leads going to the solar panel, the battery and some to a load. The load wires power lights, signs, etc where you don't want to them to run down the battery if it is cloudy for too long.

That may be what you had. Just ignore them (but tape them off so they don't short together), and it acts like a normal controller.

David

Chappy133

Thanks David.  They were taped off.  I guess that was what the extra two wires were on the old controller too?
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA