Moving Awning

Started by nhlakes, April 17, 2019, 09:46:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nhlakes

Wondering if anyone has tried to move an awning that blocks a window on some model/year camplites?    I have a late 2015 build 2016 model 21rbs that has the awning blocking the front window. 

It's interesting that some same year models have the awning in different locations.   I have not measured but at a glance it looks to be the same size awning.

Wondering if the area where the awning mounts up top is reinforced somehow, making moving it somewhat difficult.

I know that you can just release the bottom of the bar and kick it out to open the window, have done that but it annoys me for some reason.  ;)

Whipfinisher

I haven't tried moving it, but I have thought about it.   I would need a shorter awning to prevent blocking the pass-through storage door.   You might have better luck because you have a longer trailer. 

LivinLite AZ

Ditto here.

Our 13 QBB awning support leg blocks the window from opening unless I pop out the support leg and dangle it against the window edge. Lame.

However, I would like to just get a longer awning assembly (maybe from a 14 footer) and move the lower support mounting bracket over so that the support leg will clear the window AND provide an additional width of shade as well.

Why they didn't do this at the factory I can't understand. Keep us posted on your solution.

: ) S
2014 Camplite 13QBB. TV = 2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo

Whipfinisher

I use to pop the leg out to open the window until it resulted in a misalignment of the awning break mechanism, which would not allow me to open the awning.  I learned the hard way that the leg always needs to be perpendicular to the trailer. 

Chappy133

The awning leg "pop" requires you to flip the extend/retract level to allow you to return the leg to the stowed/travel position.  Well that is what works best for me.
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

finnski11

Well I just finished my awning mod. I actually modified the existing 10 foot awning and made it an 8 foot awning.
I disassembled the existing one and carefully cut exactly 2 feet off of the aluminum roller tube.  I then transferred the rivet and hole pattern on the end of my cut down roller. Reinstalled the torsion spring assemblies on both ends of the roller. Project cost me just $138 for the fabric.
I moved the rear mounts for the awning 6 inches forward towards the entry door and moved the front awning mounting brackets 18 inches backwards towards the rear of the trailer. I could not go from the existing 10 foot awning to a 12 foot awning because the underneath storage door would not have opened on my fairly short ,14 foot trailer.

finnski11

Not sure why my images got rotated, but you can see where my awning leg ended up/ Used to be right in the center of the window.

Merlin

Great idea! And good work.
Michigan

Paul

Quote from: finnski11 on May 26, 2019, 04:41:10 PM
Not sure why my images got rotated, but you can see where my awning leg ended up/ Used to be right in the center of the window.

I rotated the picture for you when you edit your post it give you the option to rotate them.
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS