Axle aluminium angle cracked

Started by Sylvain, June 22, 2019, 02:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylvain

Hello everyone,
This morning I removed the wheels from the trailer since I want to replace the tires.  I noticed an important crack in the aluminium angle to which the axle is bolted.  Have a look at the photos, they are self explanatory.  Not an easy fix.  What are your thoughts about such a problem?

Powder Hounds

Oh boy! That is something that makes me cringe. Very fortunate that you actually noticed that failed bend. Good timing on changing out your tires! It doesn't even warrant thinking about what could have happened.

I was checking my tank supports the other day and took this pic. Looking at it now and comparing it to yours I have an aluminum support bracket on both sides of the axle. Curious to why you just have the one angle bracket?

Very sorry that you now have to figure out how to remedy this issue.

ADR

A good metal shop experienced in aluminum welding should be able to fix that.   Weld up the cracks then sister a stout plate on it up onto the frame.
Do the other side too with a plate to add strength.

Sylvain

Thanks for your replies.  My fear is that they will have to drop the axle.  I hope they can weld it without removing it.  Maybe they could weld the axle to the aluminium angle.  It would be an easier fix.... I think.

DavidM

The bracket from the axle is steel and it bolts to the aluminum angle that is cracked. You cannot weld steel to aluminum.

I would not worry a bit about dropping the axle. Do what you have to do to fix it right. You need to reweld and reinforce the aluminum bracket as ADR suggests.

Talk to your welder about what he suggests for the other brackets. They could be next.

David

Sylvain

I heard that steel and aluminium can be welded together but I have no welding knowledge so it might not be a good thing.  I'll sure do what needs to be done to fix it properly since I don't want to have any problems down the road because of an improper fix.

Sylvain

Quote from: ADR on June 22, 2019, 03:51:04 PM
A good metal shop experienced in aluminum welding should be able to fix that.   Weld up the cracks then sister a stout plate on it up onto the frame.
Do the other side too with a plate to add strength.

I like the idea of the plate, that's a great advice.  Thanks for your help!

Merlin

Wow, thanks for posting the pics. That's awful. Mine's built the same way, so once again, I'm going out to the camper to check critical welds, based on other member's posts.

My only welding experience is with steel, so I'm no help. But I like ADR's plan to weld on a plate. I'll guess (but it's only a guess) that the welding shop will have to remove the axle to get that steel out of the way.
Michigan

ADR

I'm not clear on how the axles are mounted- I gather they are mounted to the AL brackets which are welded to a piece of angle???
How is that angle then attached to the frame?

And true there is no practical way to weld aluminum and steel together- life would be so much easier if there was. 

Sylvain

Quote from: ADR on June 23, 2019, 07:06:54 AM
I'm not clear on how the axles are mounted- I gather they are mounted to the AL brackets which are welded to a piece of angle???
How is that angle then attached to the frame?

And true there is no practical way to weld aluminum and steel together- life would be so much easier if there was.

This is how everything is attached together.

Sylvain

I was thinking about having a new aluminium plate welded to the frame and bolted to the axle like on this photo.

ADR

Exactly what I would do- and also try to do the other side although it will be a little more difficult since a jog in the plate would be needed.
Can't be too careful with what holds your wheels on IMO :)

tbwrench

Sylvain,

Where do you live? If in Canada, do a Kijiji search for fabrication / welders in your area and phone them asking if they have experience welding aluminum. Likely there is someone where you like that has a mobile welding truck and could come to where you are. You'll likely have to drop the axle, if only 5 - 10 inches so the inside and outside of the bracket can be welded. The welder would have the final say on this.

You cannot weld steel to aluminum, as they are dissimilar metals. Good luck, and good catch!

If you are near Calgary, I have the name of a good aluminum welder. All welders should know how to weld aluminum, but most are likely not good at it, having learned it but not practiced it. They would also need a tig I believe, with aluminum rod.

Sylvain

Thanks again everyone!

Quote from: tbwrench on June 23, 2019, 03:38:35 PM
Sylvain,

Where do you live? If in Canada, do a Kijiji search for fabrication / welders in your area and phone them asking if they have experience welding aluminum. Likely there is someone where you like that has a mobile welding truck and could come to where you are. You'll likely have to drop the axle, if only 5 - 10 inches so the inside and outside of the bracket can be welded. The welder would have the final say on this.

You cannot weld steel to aluminum, as they are dissimilar metals. Good luck, and good catch!

If you are near Calgary, I have the name of a good aluminum welder. All welders should know how to weld aluminum, but most are likely not good at it, having learned it but not practiced it. They would also need a tig I believe, with aluminum rod.

Tbwrench,
Yes I'm in Canada but sadly I don't live close to Calgary.  I'm in Rimouski, Qc.  I know there is a local welding shop here who build full aluminium trailer.  I'll call them next week and see what they think.  The idea of a mobile welder is great too.  I will look for that.

Can't wait for that problem to be fixed!

Sylvain

Our trailer has been repaired!!  Look at how strong it is now.  The aluminium is wayy thicker and the angle much longer than the original part.  The welder did a superb job.  He also inspected all the other welds.  Oh, and the aluminium angle is continuous.  If you look at the photos above, you will see that the original angle had some kind of opening on one side.