ANyone have a tongue scale and results? Quicksilver VRV 7X20

Started by ToolmanJohn, May 21, 2017, 10:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToolmanJohn

SO, I wish wish wish I could get a definitive answer on this one. Has anyone actually measured the tongue weight either at the coupler or the tongue jack? I would like to know the empty weight without water. Anyone use  a Sherline Tongue scale??

With propane and battery (or 2). No water or some water. NO cargo - EMPTY. Any toiletries, towels, kitchen stuff is fine. I just need to know a close number to figure out if I would get safe around 700 pounds of tongue weight unloaded. My limitation is tongue weight. My tow vehicle can pull 7700 pounds. (2013 Touareg TDI).

I realize most people will pul these toy haulers with a pickup truck and usually rated much higher either tow weight or hitch/tongue weight. I want to desperately avoid buying a tow vehicle, as I have no real way to have two vehicles. I am single and like it that way. I don't want two vehicles.

Both LivinLite and ATC sell nearly identical 7X20 trailers. I am finding it hard to believe the few  weight numbers I read, and salespeople seem to sidestep every direct question about the tongue weight which makes me uncomfortable.

Calling out to actual owners for some much needed info!!!

Powder Hounds

Hi,

We have a 21RBS with a full king bed and a residential foam mattress. This would add more tongue weight than the standard units. We had no water, all our general items loaded, two Trojan  6 volt batteries and two full twenty pound propane tanks. Our Anderson hitch was not installed in this photo.

Merlin

I have a Sherline scale, but the specific numbers from my 16TBS would be irrelevant to your toy hauler, as would specific numbers from any other trailer. Can you get to a scale somewhere and get the weights for your rig as it's ready for the road? Hitched and unhitched weights of the trailer would give you the tongue weight.

As one point of reference in a relative way, the LL advertised tongue weight from the factory of my camper was 230 lbs. The actual "going down the road" tongue weight is 540 lbs, almost 2-1/2 times the advertised weight! No wonder sales staff are so "careful" saying anything about real numbers!
Michigan

Davidb

I have a 6x15 and never weighed the tongue, but it definitely lowers the rear of my full size Tundra a little.I believe the stated weights are underated.

I wasn't concerned at all about pulling the trailer because it was supposed to be around 3000 pounds, I soon discovered it's the frontal area hitting the wind that puts the load on the vehicle, mileage dropped from 18mpg to 9-10 which is the same others get with the same truck towing 26ft 8000 lb trailers.

I looked at a 7x20 after I purchased mine and the frontal area is huge compared to the 6x15.

Just my thoughts, frontal area is a big factor, just ask anyone towing a little R-Pod trailer that the dealer said can be towed with a small vehicle.

ToolmanJohn

THX for the feedback gents. I bought a Sherline 1000 pound tongue scale. I ended up having to buy another brand toy hauler. No Livin Lite dealers near to me wanted to measure a 7X20 on their lots. Wow. I didn't want to drive hundreds of miles to buy a trailer and find out the tongue weight on my own.

Bummed because I paid a LOT more for my ATC, but I got what I wanted.

I know about pushing air!!! My former 4 speed 4runner hated my 2013 Starcraft 17RD at highway speeds, so I bought a 2013 R-Pod. Guess what? Didn't make any difference.

So I bought a Touareg TDI.. BIG improvement. R-Pod no longer noticed, fuel economy better, towing experience FAR better. It had everything to do with the very short rear overhang of the receiver to axle. And independent suspension. And heavier. And torqueyer(is that a word?).

Merlin

It's amazing what can fit in those ATC toy haulers! Good work on getting a tongue weight scale. Loading and towing a toy hauler has it's own special considerations, given the weight that can be moved around inside. I look forward to reports of your adventures!
Michigan

mojospeople

Odd that no one would measure the tongue weight. You'd think they'd be curious too. Actually, you'd think they'd have the capability to not only weigh them, but to give decent advice on the topic.

On a side note - I bought a Touareg, but gas, to tow our 16TBS and got some strange looks from the dealer when we went to pick it up. Caught one of the sales guys pulling their towing manual out to look up the specs to see if what I stated was true.  Then even with all the specs looking good, I started worrying about our tongue weight - given the mixed info on the Touareg capabilities. I'd be curious to know where you ended up on your tongue weight calculations for your new trailer. I think I'm running between 550 and 600 pounds. We're towing a total trailer weight of around 4200 pounds fully loaded with our gear (w/o water). The Egg squats a little more than I like so we added the Andersen w/d and have been tweaking it ever since (another no-no according to the owner's manual but most owners use it anyway).

ToolmanJohn

I bought an Andersen WD hitch for the ATC 7X20, but discovered after a few pulls to the truck stop CAT scales that the Andersen DOES NOT distibute much weight to the front axle. I had so much tension cranked into the chain adjusters, I could not properly uninstall the triangle plate!! Had to back of the tension nuts to remove the plate each time... bad.

It does a very good job of dampening bounce when towing, and I have had no sway issues, (even without WD), but I felt the Andersen WD could not be adjusted enough to get more weight to the front axle of the Touareg. I still had considerable sag, even after massive adjustment of the tension nuts. So I had to give up on it. Seems only good for lower tongue weights. Less than <500 pounds

I bought a Blue Ox WD hitch with 1000 pound bars. I haven't towed with it yet, but will report on it soon. I'll be going to New Brunswick, Canada in a couple weeks for about 8 days. Mountain bikes, TW200 Enduro, and bacon...

Paul

Quote from: ToolmanJohn on August 03, 2017, 10:59:27 PM
I bought an Andersen WD hitch for the ATC 7X20, but discovered after a few pulls to the truck stop CAT scales that the Andersen DOES NOT distibute much weight to the front axle. I had so much tension cranked into the chain adjusters, I could not properly uninstall the triangle plate!! Had to back of the tension nuts to remove the plate each time... bad.

It does a very good job of dampening bounce when towing, and I have had no sway issues, (even without WD), but I felt the Andersen WD could not be adjusted enough to get more weight to the front axle of the Touareg. I still had considerable sag, even after massive adjustment of the tension nuts. So I had to give up on it. Seems only good for lower tongue weights. Less than <500 pounds

I bought a Blue Ox WD hitch with 1000 pound bars. I haven't towed with it yet, but will report on it soon. I'll be going to New Brunswick, Canada in a couple weeks for about 8 days. Mountain bikes, TW200 Enduro, and bacon...

I live in New Brunswick. When are you planning to go and in what area?
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

edearl54

2018 7x20 Quicksilver.  Shearline scale, at the ball coupler, was 700#. 

Diversteve

From everything I have read, 600# tongue weight seems to be the tipping point for WDH.
There are many good articles on trailer hitch and weight limits online.
Remember that the weight limits for your vehicle are the MAXIMUM.
Please leave yourself some safety factor when considering TV and trailer combinations.
Steve