Cast Iron...

Started by PEIslander, June 30, 2015, 07:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEIslander

One of my favorite pieces of camping equipment is a big antique cast iron frying pan that my mother bought at a yard sale. I just looked at the modern equivalents being sold at Cabela's and while nice and heavy & offered in a similar size the modern ones lack some details that make the old one great. Ours has a remarkably thin and easy to grip handle and the interior sides are as smooth as the interior bottom. The junction between the sides & bottom is a crisp angle that allows you to scape right over to the sides. Overall it is big enough to use as a griddle - or for a one pot meal.

We like to use it on the fire. Here in Canada firepits at campsites typically have a grating. We find we can avoid burning by moving the pan relative to the heat. I also have use butane burners and they big pan works surprisingly well with it.

Any other cast iron cooking fans? Any dutch oven users?
"Beer is proof that God loves us" - Ben Franklin

rideandfly

We purchased a Dutch Oven, but have not used it, yet!

Looking forward to learning about cooking with a Dutch Oven!
Bill

DavidM

Older cast iron skillets are collector's items. The rough surface has worn down a bit so it is easier to keep clean. Our Lodge will be an antique in 50 years.

David

WWBushhog

We too have a cast iron frying pan inherited from Grandma.  We use it most all of the time!  It's great for cooking most everything, it seems, well seasoned and a cinch to maintain.

We also have a Lodge 12 qt. dutch oven which we've used to make stews both over an open fire as well as in, over and under charcoal.  There's something 'pioneering' and special about sitting around the fire waiting eagerly for the little dutch oven to yield up its yummy contents after a sufficient time over a fire or coals suspended only by the chain of a weathered rod iron tripod.

But one of the most rewarding, fun things we've done is cook our Thanksgiving turkey in a trashcan!  It's called just that....'trashcan turkey'.  Best tasting bird ever and the technique is similar to cooking with the dutch oven using charcoal (for heat control), but on a grander scale, and hence, a little more work...but worth it!  So next time you want to make family and friends feel extra special when they come over...cook a big bird for them in a trashcan.  They'll be squawking about it for a long time!   ;D

Nice topic selection, PEI! 

Scout

I picked up a lodge grill sheet a few years ago...still going strong (as long as I keep it seasoned)

+1 on the cast iron! :)