Bubbles in tile floor

Started by Gary M, July 02, 2018, 05:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary M

Yesterday on my 2018 Camplite 21BHS,  I noticed 4 softball size bubbles in the tile floor in random locations, where the adhesive has failed. Anyone else able to fix this with a hyperdermic needle and glue, or by some other method?

Merlin

Heat related? We've recently had Interstate Highway pavement buckling here in MI from the intense heat. If the bubbling is from differential expansion of the flooring layers, regluing may not work?  Carpet it and ignore it?
Michigan

Steve Sanders

Delamination is going to affect structural integrity, so I don't think I would cover and ignore. Sounds like a warranty claim to me!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Merlin

Quote from: Steve Sanders on July 03, 2018, 10:09:11 AM
Delamination is going to affect structural integrity, so I don't think I would cover and ignore. Sounds like a warranty claim to me!

Hmm....I never thought about delamination. I was going on my paradigm of tile covering an aluminum floor like mine.
Michigan

F3Dawg

Quote from: Gary M on July 02, 2018, 05:46:21 PM
Yesterday on my 2018 Camplite 21BHS,  I noticed 4 softball size bubbles in the tile floor in random locations, where the adhesive has failed. Anyone else able to fix this with a hyperdermic needle and glue, or by some other method?

Gary, I cannot believe all the problems that you've had to work through with your 2018. It sure seems like they owe you a huge refund for all of the repairs. I have also been amazed how you have been able to fix these issues.

Steve Sanders

Quote from: Merlin on July 03, 2018, 11:22:48 AM

Hmm....I never thought about delamination. I was going on my paradigm of tile covering an aluminum floor like mine.

Does the 2018 have a composite floor, or am I confused (again) ? ;-)

Merlin

Quote from: Steve Sanders on July 04, 2018, 01:26:32 AM

Quote from: Merlin on July 03, 2018, 11:22:48 AM

Does the 2018 have a composite floor, or am I confused (again) ? ;-)

The current Camplite models have a composite, laminated floor. I had forgotten that when I suggested just covering up the bubbles. Oops. So the confusion was on my part (again).  ;)

https://www.livinlite.com/brochures/2018/2018-Livin-Lite-CampLite-Travel-Trailers-Brochure.pdf
Michigan

DavidM

You might try puncturing the bubbles with a needle or a small drill. That will let the air out and allow the top layer to reseal or at least level out if you stand on it to smash it down. Don't know if the texture/color of the floor will make that too noticeable. Try it on one bubble in an unobtrusive location and see if it works.

David

Gary M

I'm taking it to an RV repair center tomorrow to look at the issue with my wall, I'll see what they say about the bubbles too.

Paul

I do have one spot that have a bubble on the floor. You don't really see it but when you touch with your hand you can feel it. It's near the kitchen cabinet. Not sure if it's only the floor that is not glued properly on that spot or something else?
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

Gary M

That's how mine are Paul. It's not really noticeable looking down at it, but if I put my head down level with the floor I can see it clearly. I can also feel them with my hand. I read that this happens when they don't wait for the adhesive to become tacky before laying down the vinyl.

Paul

Quote from: Gary M on July 11, 2018, 11:08:53 AM
That's how mine are Paul. It's not really noticeable looking down at it, but if I put my head down level with the floor I can see it clearly. I can also feel them with my hand. I read that this happens when they don't wait for the adhesive to become tacky before laying down the vinyl.

Ok so nothing to worry about?
2014 Ford Escape
2015 Camplite 13QBB
2016 Ford F150
2018 Ford F150
2018 Camplite 21BHS

djsamuel

If you push down and feel a solid floor, I wouldn't worry unless it starts to bubble more. If you push down and the floor continues to feel spongy, then I would verify that the composite flooring underneath is still OK.

Gary M

Quote from: Paul on July 11, 2018, 11:30:27 AM

I dunno about that. Can't predict the future, but my guess is that it will eventually spread. The repair place I took it to today for the wall issue, said they didn't want to fix the bubbles. All they would be able to do is patch it, and it would be a big ugly eyesore. I'm going to research some more on it later, but right now my main priority is the loose moving wall.

smjcolsga

Quote from: Paul on July 11, 2018, 11:30:27 AM
Quote from: Gary M on July 11, 2018, 11:08:53 AM

Actually, we learned the 'vinyl' is a 'foamed pvc top layer' which is 'permanently bonded' to a 3mm thin fiberglass top sheet making up the 'appearance layer' of the adzdel and foam composite floor. There is a lengthy discussion of the merits and not so good aspects of the switch to composite flooring in the 2018 models including exact details of its makeup on the 'official' LL forum. You can also Google 'Lamilux' for more info on the product used.