Anyone upgrade their solar system on ATC?

Started by Chet, October 26, 2018, 01:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chet

we have an ATC 28' FB with 2 130w solar panels installed by ATC.  Has anyone added any more solar panels, upgraded their charge controller, or added any other equipment such as battery low voltage alert, auto generator start etc?

Merlin

Welcome to the forum! There are several folks on here who have done upgrades or solar installations, but not necessarily on an ATC. Run a search using solar as the search term and see what comes up.
Michigan

DavidM

Quote from: Chet on October 26, 2018, 01:15:13 PM
we have an ATC 28' FB with 2 130w solar panels installed by ATC.  Has anyone added any more solar panels, upgraded their charge controller, or added any other equipment such as battery low voltage alert, auto generator start etc?

The list above can be implemented, but unless you are living full time in your camper, it probably isn't worth it. But here are some thoughts on your list:

Controller upgrade- If yours is a PWM type controller you can get another 15% by switching to a MPPT controller, but they cost at least $200 for your system.

A low voltage alarm is usually part of a battery monitor such as made by Victron, Xantrex and MasterVolt. These monitor actual amp hour usage and the state of charge (pct used) of your batteries. These can be a worthwhile addition if you are routinely running your batteries down.

An automatic start signal that can be used start a generator is a feature of the better battery monitors. It only works with a generator that can be started electrically and has the proper controls to work with automatic start. Most RV generators don't do this.

More panels can be added but you now have 260 watts of solar panels. They should produce 80 amp hours of power on a sunny day. That isn't enough? I use 10-15 amp hours on a typical day and don't need any solar.

David

Chet

Thanks David, I like the idea of low voltage alarm and auto gen start.  I think that would be a good start for our upgrades.  I'll have to research that.