Andersen vs Equalizer vs etc WDH hitches

Started by nhlakes, August 28, 2018, 08:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nhlakes

Did a search on WDH and was surprised that nothing came up the the current forum - lots of stuff in the archive.

I'm starting to look for a Weight Distribution Hitch with Sway Control for my Tundra/CL21RBS combo and welcome any pros, cons, comments, etc...

Last WDH hitch / sway control setup I had on a slightly heavier camper behind a suburban 15+ years ago was a real pain. Ball mount, bars and chains weighed a ton, creaked like crazy, could not back up with friction sway control etc...   I've been avoiding putting one on the current setup but decided I want one for the very small percent of time that it gets tad squirrely.

Any updated thoughts?

Merlin

Yup, the archive has lots on WDHs!  If you want to fix occasional "squirrelyness", the Andersen should work fine. Not so much for weight distribution, though. It's a relatively light and easy to use and easy to live with hitch. But first, make sure you've got correct tongue weight. A couple years ago I camped next to a 21RBS/Tundra rig and the owner thought sway control was needed, but not necessarily weight distribution. My Andersen provides a no-drama ride for sway control even under extreme conditions.

I've been offering my Sherline LM1000 tongue scale on a short term loan basis to anyone interested. It mails USPS in a flat rate medium box for about $14USD each way to U.S. addresses. So if you're interested in getting an accurate tongue weight for about $28 and a few minutes set up, shoot me a message on the forum. It's a well traveled little scale and everyone who has used it has been surprised at their trailer tongue weight.
Michigan

DavidM

As Merlin noted above, the Andersen hitch is more about sway control than weight distribution. It just doesn't have the geometry to do much weight distributing.

But your 4X4 Tundra probably doesn't need much weight distribution. First make sure that your tongue weight is right as Merlin suggests. The 21RBS weighs 4,000+ lbs loaded, so you need at least 400 lbs on the hitch. Then if it still feels squirrely then consider an Andersen.

But if 400+ lbs is too much for you then consider an Equalizer, Reese, etc WDH with minimal torque bars. You won't need much weight transfer, 200 lbs off of the hitch and up on the front wheels should be plenty.

David

nhlakes

Thanks for the offer Merlin.  You are a gentleman and a scholar. ;)

Correct, the weight distribution is not my main concern.  The Tundra handles the load admirably.  I understand the geometry/load issues.   Have had campers, boats, enclosed, snowmobile, motorcycle, utility, etc. trailers for decades (think I have 5 now ;) ) and have trailered coast to coast and Canada to the Keys.  Just have not had to research WDH for quite a few years - and have never put WDH on an aluminum trailer. 

(Funny how we drag around our 7Klb boats without a thought to WDH.)

The Andersen is at the top of my list from all I have read, but all ears to additional comments advice, insults, etc... ;)

nhlakes

Exchanged some email with Andersen Customer Support and gave them all the specs of the trailer/truck and they suggested kit #3350

https://andersenhitches.com/Products/3350--nosway-weight-distribution-hitch-4-droprise-2516-ball-3-4-5--6-brackets.aspx

They also said that all kits come with the extended 'rack' now - not sure I will be able to open the tailgate, it'll be close.

Before ordering I am just checking to see if there is any real world data that suggests otherwise...

Merlin

Quote from: nhlakes on September 06, 2018, 06:11:38 PM
Exchanged some email with Andersen Customer Support and gave them all the specs of the trailer/truck and they suggested kit #3350

https://andersenhitches.com/Products/3350--nosway-weight-distribution-hitch-4-droprise-2516-ball-3-4-5--6-brackets.aspx

They also said that all kits come with the extended 'rack' now - not sure I will be able to open the tailgate, it'll be close.

Before ordering I am just checking to see if there is any real world data that suggests otherwise...

Can you open the tailgate with your current setup, or does it hit the tongue jack? I wonder what the extended rack will do for you.

If you gave them all the truck specs and they suggested a 4" drop rise rack, cool. But, I had to go with the 8" drop rise rack to get my trailer level with my Land Cruiser.
Michigan