Wind Power?

Started by Chappy133, April 22, 2018, 11:07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chappy133

Just throwing it out to the group for your ideas.  I currently have an 80w solar panel and generator.  I am kicking the can down the path of adding a small wind turbine.  Lots of stuff on Amazon but I am looking for RV ready system or a good shopping list.  My thoughts are to use the front jack to rest on the base that holds the pole that the turbine sits on.  It would need some type of controller to limit overcharging of the batteries.  I have two 6 vt golf cart batteries that would be getting charged. We occasionally camp at the beach in Maryland and when retirement happens in three years we plan on traveling out west too.  So any ideas or sugguestions is appreciated and you do not need to send me $300.00 either  ;) .   
2016 LL 21 RBS
2016 LL 16 TBS (Sold)
QS 6.0 (Sold)
2022 F-150 Lariat Ecoboost Supercrew
Easton, PA

DavidM

The Maryland beach may have sufficient wind, but most camping areas won't. You need at least 15 mph to generate meaningful power.

Boaters have mostly given up on wind power. Solar is lot's more reliable and effective. Campers do have the problem with shade in many areas that we camp affecting solar, but surrounding forests also limit wind velocity.

Not worth it IMO.

David

Powder Hounds

I have been tempted into looking at an RV wind turbine as well. During our winter in AZ we had the opportunity to talk to some of our snowbird neighbours who had been running solar and wind. The first impressions were positive, wind was not an issue. But the noise that the turbine produced was significant. We could here the motor whirling from over 500 yards away. On a very windy day we were visiting and talking about their setup. Inside the 5th wheel you could not only here the motor but you could feel the vibration from the turbine, they had it mounted on a steel pole connected to the rig. After a while you did not really notice the sound or vibration but it was still there. You can change the blades to help reduce the noise and I believe there are specific poles that are engineered to reduce the vibrations. Another camper near us purchased a cheap wind turbine and ran it for a couple of days and decided to actually take it down because of the noise. Asked me if I wanted to buy it. I passed.

To be candid, I believe wind power is a feel good thing to have but with 120 watts of solar and our Honda 2000 why add more stuff? IMO I would just add some more solar panels and move on.

Powder Hounds

The unit that I was tempted by was the Air40 Wind Turbine from Primus Wind Power, base price $899.00 SKU: WGB70212. Check out ervsolar.com

Merlin

I like these easy ones. No! This comes from 5 years of experimenting on my own with 3 turbines in several locations. The remains of my last turbine (RIP) are hanging over my workbench as a reminder of past folly.

First, even if you have wind, the turbulence in a typical campground will pull all the power out of it so nothing is left for the turbine. You'd have to have it above the trees and/or any other obstruction within a long way (at least several hundred feet) to get any useable energy for a turbine (and DavidM is right on that useable power starts at about 15MPH).

Second, small turbines are not all that reliable (yet). They have complex moving parts and bearings to 1) provide a way to get the electricity from the alternator (or generator) to the wires 2) allow the blades to spin 3) allow the turbine to turn into the wind. They also have complex electronics to 1) stop the turbine in high winds 2) regulate the output 3) rectify it to get 12VDC. And they have to be weatherproof while providing adequate cooling. Edit: I see above a reference to a small turbine. That's the one hanging in irreparable pieces over my workbench.

Third, they require a more substantial tower/support than most people realize. There is a lot of force/torque involved in even the small ones and a wimpy setup will lead to expensive failure.

Fourth, they are noisy!

So small wind is just not there yet. The only circumstance I would recommend a turbine would be for someone who just wanted to goof around with cool gadgets for fun. But not for the practical power production.

Michigan