Did I kill my batteries/6v golf cart battery source?

Started by FastEddieB, April 09, 2017, 10:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tek610

So I just got back from visiting my trailer at the storage lot so I could take measurements and test fit the new battery box. The 4 screws holding the old box in (not the plastic, the aluminum rectangle frame that holds the old group 24 box) are torqued down SUPER tight. I broke two bits with my driver on the highest torque setting. Any tips for gettin' that sucker off?

Thanks y'all!

John

DavidM

The screws are probably corroded in place. You may have to drill them out or grind off the heads. But soak with WD40 and bang on the head with a hammer to try to break them free before going to that extreme.

David

bryan.a.white

Quote from: tek610 on April 23, 2017, 10:31:21 PM
Quote from: bryan.a.white on April 11, 2017, 08:05:24 PM
You will like the 6V Duracells, I got the same ones and I have had them for a couple of years. In fact, I just moved them from a Pop-Up trailer to my recently purchased Livin-Lite. Install is shown in the photos. (Ignore my charger lead that is wired in, I had it reversed in the photo.)

I have been maintaining the charge with a Pulse Tech charger that has "desulfation" technology. Keeps them in prime condition and ready to go. I have heard tons of stories from my family and friends who use them on their old batteries and they are brought back to life.

http://www.pulsetech.net/XCPARALLEL-Xtreme-Charge-Parallel-Multi-12V-Battery-Charger-7276.aspx

Bryan-

I just bought the same Noco box you have. On your install- is it really as simple as it looks? It looks like two pieces of angle aluminum screwed to the tongue frame, then the box mounted to the angle aluminum. My trailer is in a storage lot, so I can't go out and look at it until tomorrow, but was the stock battery box holder difficult to remove? And did you have to move your propane tanks at all? If so, was that difficult?

Thanks for your help and advice. Sorry to pepper you with questions like I'm giving you the 3rd degree!

John
Sorry I just got back to this.

You nailed it. Cut the angle aluminum with a carbide blade on a chop saw. Where safety glasses for sure, aluminum shards in the eye isn't fun to get removed. Got that t-shirt.

A hack saw would also do the trick, but not as clean.

The stock battery box screws were really tight. I used an impact screw gun to get them out.  If you can't get them grind them off flush and re-drill.  Steel screws in aluminum is a problem, they tend to break off before they let go when they are that tight.

I didn't have to move my tanks.

It was real simple with great results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bryan

bryan.a.white

Bryan-

I just bought the same Noco box you have. On your install- is it really as simple as it looks? It looks like two pieces of angle aluminum screwed to the tongue frame, then the box mounted to the angle aluminum. My trailer is in a storage lot, so I can't go out and look at it until tomorrow, but was the stock battery box holder difficult to remove? And did you have to move your propane tanks at all? If so, was that difficult?

Thanks for your help and advice. Sorry to pepper you with questions like I'm giving you the 3rd degree!

John
[/quote]
Sorry I just got back to this.

You nailed it. Cut the angle aluminum with a carbide blade on a chop saw. Where safety glasses for sure, aluminum shards in the eye isn't fun to get removed. Got that t-shirt.

A hack saw would also do the trick, but not as clean.

The stock battery box screws were really tight. I used an impact screw gun to get them out.  If you can't get them grind them off flush and re-drill.  Steel screws in aluminum is a problem, they tend to break off before they let go when they are that tight.

I didn't have to move my tanks. One thing to keep in mind is your wires to the terminal block. If you move things around too much you may need to build longer ones.

It was real simple with great results.

[/quote]

Bryan

tek610

Thanks for the responses!

It's been raining continuously since my last post (with temps in the 30's!) so I'm not sure when I'll get back to it. I plan to try to PB blast it then hit it with an impact, but I'm prepared to grind away if need be. No real sign of obvious corrosion, but who knows?

I'm ready to stop spending time and money modding and prepping and get out and actually CAMP in the darned thing!

Thanks again-

John

FastEddieB

Heating the area up with a heat gun/hair dryer or a propane torch can help.

Heat the area around the screw, not the screw itself, so the heated area can expand away from the screw.

tek610

So, I finally got the old battery bracket off. I used a hand impact driver (hammer-strike style) and that loosened two of them, had to grind and drill the other two off. Once it was off, I was able to test fit the new box. Turns out, I had to relocate my propane tanks. I moved them about 3-4 inches forward, and now with the cover installed, they nearly butt right against my tongue jack. It's a top-wind jack, so I can see that become a pain in the @ss before long. Might be looking into a sidewinder or power jack in the near future.

Installing the angle aluminum and new box will have to wait until time/weather allows. We're expecting rain/snow/sleet here in the Twin Cities most of this week starting tomorrow.

Man, I really can't wait to go camping. I've been tinkering with this thing for 6 weeks now!

Thanks for all the help and advice. I LOVE this forum.

John

tek610

Got it done today, batteries installed and working great. Thanks again for the inspiration and technical help!

bryan.a.white

Bryan

Merlin

It even looks like you knew what you were doing.  ;D
Michigan

FastEddieB

First trip with the new setup.

I decided to keep my selector on "2", charging and drawing from just the 6v batteries. That would leave my 12v front battery as a backup spare. Part of my thinking was that charging just might be more efficient, but not sure that's the case.

Our first night boondocking just used the water pump, lights, fridge electronics, radio and a couple hours of TV use. Plus charging iPhones and iPads. In the morning, before pulling out I measured 12.57v at the battery, still hooked up with whatever nominal draw that entails.

In Malabar, FL at some friends and plugged into their 15A service. Will report on any further boondocking this trip.