East coast trip 2023

Started by djsamuel, August 07, 2023, 01:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djsamuel

Had a great 4 week trip from Florida up to Shenandoah National Park and back.  Our stops on the trip were:

Reid Bingham State Park in Adel, GA (stayed in the park)
Blue Ridge, GA (Blue Ridge KOA)
Asheville, NC (Asheville East KOA)
Shenandoah NAtional Park (Endless Caverns Campground, New Market, VA)
Smoky Mountains National Park (Big Meadow Family Campground, Townsend, TN)
Americus, GA (Americus, KOA)

The first stop was Reid Bingham State Park.  This is an excellent park and their campground is really nice; full hookups and nice facilities.  The park has several nice trails and a nice lake.

The lake is really nice:

The campground is excellent, full hookups and a lot of room:

The trails were also very nice:

From there we headed to Blue Ridge, GA and a really nice KOA campground:

Nice hiking in the Chattahoochie National Forest:

Made a short stop at the Asheville KOA East.  Had a nice lakefront campsite:

We stopped to see the Billy Graham Training Center at the Cove.  Very nice and free to tour:

From Asheville, we headed towards Shenandoah National Park.  We camped at Endless Caverns Campground in New Market, VA.  About 35 minutes or so from Shenandoah, but a really nice campground in an amazing setting:

Shenandoah National Park is an amazing place.  There are so many great hikes, we just concentrated on the Big Meadows area for this trip.  Pictures don't do it justice:

After Shenandoah, we headed to Townsend, TN and the Big Smoky Mountains National Park; one of my favorite places to go.  We camped at Big Meadow Family Campground:

The Cades Cove area of the park is always a great place to go:

Here are a couple of other photos from the Smoky Mountains.  I could fill up pages with good views:

From the Smoky Mountains we headed south to Americus, GA and stayed at the Americus KOA.  Nice campground in a location convenient to Andersonville and the National POW Museum and Fort Sumter as well as Plains, GA.  Both places were really good and much more than I expected.

The campground was nice with plenty of room.  They also had two nine hole golf courses as well as disc golf and foot golf courses all available for free to campers.  A couple of ponds for fishing as well.

I'll add more later.

Merlin

What an amazing set of photos! Looks like a super nice trip.
Michigan